Thursday, June 25, 2009

Modesty for boys??? Yes, and girls too..

I know people have a lot of thoughts about modesty.

Would you believe that some think if you have a 2 piece bathing suit on that you are decent?

Others think if a woman's cleavage isn't showing that nothing else matters.

And almost everyone would say that modesty is just for girls!

Well, I have say LET'S SEE WHAT GOD SAYS!

Do you really want to know?? Okay, I promise you this, YOU WILL BE SHOCKED!

I think most know these verses:
1 Tim 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
1 Tim 2:10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

Now hang on, I'm gonna get to the boys! (..and sooo much more!)
Isa 47:2 .... uncover thy locks, make bare the leg, uncover the thigh, pass over the rivers.
Isa 47:3 Thy nakedness shall be uncovered, yea, thy shame shall be seen:

This verse clearly teaches that "making the leg bare" and "uncover(ing) the thigh" is nakedness.And this was referring to a group of people so I don't believe that its gender specific!

But this verse has led me to take a more modest approach at raising my boys. Just taking that verse at word only, has led me to attempt to lead the boys in such a manner of dress so as to cover their thighs. (And yes, even more so my daughter!)

But the other things that I've encouraged them to do, I don't have specific Scriptures to support. They are things that I've shared with them and made decisions based on conclusions that we came to. The older they get, the deeper the discussions and the more I've encouraged them to make decisions according to knowledge. Knowledge of what? Well, what the Bible says, what modesty is and is not, and we get into conversations about what girls think and say and yes, we base some of our decisions on that.

Are there details and specifics? Yes, but again, I can't directly support some of those by verses from the Bible, they are our personal decisions and therefore, I won't go further into them here.

But here is one more verse that also supports this as well as the FACT that "breeches" were for males:
Exo 28:42 And thou shalt make them linen breeches to cover their nakedness; from the loins even unto the thighs they shall reach:
Exo 28:43 And they shall be upon Aaron, and upon his sons...

No comments:

Post a Comment